Seasonal allergies in Florida can be a pain, annoying to deal with and somewhat debilitating – you can’t go outside and breath in fresh air for long, because of “ HIGH POLLEN IN THE AIR”, having constant runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes and nasal stuffiness… almost like having an extended cold.
So pollen is not a friendly seasonal visitor for many people, and when it comes in loads it is an extreme nuisance… pollen counts of 50 grams per cubic meter or less are considered low, but even a small count of 15 to 20 grams per cubic meter could make allergy sufferers miserable.
Some ways to reduce pollen exposure:
• Stay indoors when it’s windy
• If you go out during high-pollen times, (between 5am and 10am) wear a face mask designed to filter out pollens.
• Keep pollen out of your home (wipe your shoes on an outdoor mat, empty vaccum cleaners outside, close your windows)
• Change your clothes promptly at the end of the day, wash your hair at the end of the day
• Change your bed spreads often
• Groom your pets regularly
• Park your car in a garage
• Plan outdoor activities ahead of time
• Take allergy medicine
And of course some rain does a whole lot of good by reducing pollen in the air and washing it away… so pray for it !